The physician services business within Clinical Holdings is envisioned to offer both employed and affiliated physicians a menu of services to support their practices. The National Revenue Service Center (NRSC) is one of the key components of the physician practice support services offering centralized physician practice revenue cycle management.
Ascension Physician Services (APS) has partnered with athenaHealth to move all employed physicians to the athenaNet practice management platform. The NRSC ensures a standardized practice management platform using athenaNet by standardizing process and centralizing management of the physician revenue cycle to ensure a single, national approach at each Health Ministry.
While initially targeting 5,000+ employed physicians, the services provided by the NRSC are ultimately intended for 30,000+_affiliated physicians as well. Building a scalable, highly efficient national service center is critical to achieving the value proposition intended for the targeted physicians.
The Vice President of the NRSC will report directly to the SVP and Operations Leader, APS, who in conjunction with the SVP and Clinical Leader, APS leads Ascension Physician Services in a dyad structure. The Vice President NRSC, APS will be a member of the Operational Leadership Team of APS. The Head of the NRSC, APS will oversee and manage a central team dedicated to providing centralized processing activities including: standardization of registration/scheduling, charge entry, coding, refund issuance, write-off approvals, claim-edit resolution support, fee schedule maintenance, billing question support, contractual service inquiry support, reporting, and revenue cycle optimization.
The VP NRSC, APS develops short and long-term strategic plans and metrics for improved centralized practice management (PM) activities designed to reduce operating cost to collect and improve the rate of collection for service payments. The VP NRSC, APS, in conjunction with the SVP and Operations Leader, APS, will recommend, direct and administer CPO activities designed to improve operational/financial performance and ensure attainment of APS strategic objectives. The VP NRSC, APS monitors, reports and enforces operational performance and identifies opportunities for operational improvements across the physician services central processing office. The VP NRSC, APS will work closely with the Health Ministry operational and finance leads, APS implementation and affiliates leads and market practice leaders in carrying out his/her responsibilities. The VP NRSC, APS ensures compliance and adherence to all aspects of corporate ethics and corporate compliance, including all federal and state regulatory requirements and generally agreed accounting principles (GAAP).
This position oversees 800 FTEs, including 3 at the Director Level. Span of control includes coding and Coding Compliance and Corporate Responsibility, as well as Finance and HR areas, with associates located in multiple locations including associates working from home. The position has direct responsibility for a budget of $50M, out of a total CBO budget of $2B in net revenue. The position has a collaborative relationship with the Vice President of Revenue Cycle Management.
- Perform all work with a direct reflection of the Mission, Vision and Values of Ascension
- Direct, supervise and coordinate practice management centralized billing operational activities to serve all Ascension Health Ministries, as well as non-employed providers served by APS, as they transition to a new PM system
- Recommend, monitor and analyze key PM operational performance metrics in order to identify and implement operational improvements that will increase efficiency and customer satisfaction resulting in achievement of APS strategic objectives
- Lead the hiring selection process for the practice management centralized processing operations
- Motivate and lead a high performance team by attracting new talent and identifying existing talent; provide opportunities for growth and development of high performers
- Develop and recommend operating and capital budgets for central business operations, including planning work load and need for resources and support services to fulfill goals and objectives
- Establish and monitor internal controls to ensure compliance with federal and state regulatory requirements and generally agreed accounting principles (GAAP)
- Ensure corporate compliance policies and standards are monitored and maintained
- Monitor Actual versus Budget reporting and review all factors affecting the cost of APS’s CBO operations and take necessary corrective actions to keep costs commensurate with overall objectives and budgets
- Recommend short- and long-term strategic plans to support Ascension Physician Service’s objectives
- Monitor and ensure NRSC operational performance meets service commitments agreed upon with APS customers, both internal and external
- Manage, monitor and direct all centralized PM activities, including development of guidelines to ensure maximum reimbursement by all payers
- Evaluate and recommend principles, policies and workflows that will be used to accomplish critical NRSC PM activities
- Provide input into point-of-care PM operational policies and activities
- Solicit, review and respond to Health Ministry and non-employed provider feedback regarding NRSC services and actively seek to enhance customer experience
- Recommend, in conjunction with SVP and Operations Leader, APS, the appropriate staffing model for the NRSC
- Supervise and monitor training and development of CBO personnel
Position is located at the Indianapolis office. Travel may be extensive depending upon business needs.
Promotes and exemplifies and supports the Ascension Core Values of Service of the Poor, Reverence, Integrity, Wisdom, Creativity, and Dedication.
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA/Masters degree in Healthcare Administration or related field strongly preferred
- A minimum of ten (10) years of healthcare operational management experience in a medical business office or insurance environment is required
- Proven tracked record of achieving exceptional collections rate in a cost-effective manner is required
- Experience in Catholic Healthcare a plus
- Deep operational expertise across the full spectrum of PM billing functions and activities
- Comfortable working with matrix reporting relationships and leading through ambiguity
- Demonstrated experience building and leading highly efficient revenue cycle/customer service processing centers
- Proven ability to use a metric driven performance management approach to improve operational effectiveness and efficiency
- Proven ability to lead and manage change
- Experience working in a customer service role and demonstrated ability to manage challenging customer service situations
- Excellent working knowledge of strategic planning, business management, healthcare administration, and regulatory compliance issues
- Excellent working knowledge of mathematical principles to make calculations, balance and reconcile figures, and make adjustments accurately
- Proven ability to exercise initiative, judgment, discretion, problem solving, and decision-making to achieve organizational objectives
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, employees and strategic partners
- Excellent organizational skills to manage centralized business processes
- Strong ability to prioritize and delegate responsibilities when necessary; effective time management skills
These Executive Leadership Competencies are most relevant to this position:
Displays Strategic Influence: Creates and executes influence strategies that persuade key internal and external stakeholders to take action that will support the mission and organizational goals. Proactively communicates the mission and business case to stakeholders.
Cultivates Partnerships: Initiates and maintains strategic relationships with stakeholders inside and outside the Ascension Health Alliance to advance shared goals; seeks and considers stakeholder perspectives and promotes fairness in dealing with others.
Demonstrates Financial Acumen:
Understands how the organization works. Knowledgeable in all factors impacting ministry (government, community, markets, technologies, competition, etc.). Balances financial, operational, clinical and organizational perspectives in executing responsibilities.
Leverages Market Opportunities:
Uses understanding of key market drivers to create service opportunities and/or expand into new markets or innovative clinical services.
Makes Effective Decisions:
Secures and compares information from multiple sources to identify the mission, business, community and patient issues. Commits to action after considering the inputs of those impacted by the decision and weighing alternative solutions against important decision criteria and the common good.
Builds Talent: Establishes systems and processes to attract, develop, engage and retain talented associates; creates a model community work environment where associates are inspired to reach their full potential, thus allowing the organization to meet current and future clinical, financial, operational and organizational challenges.
Achieves Values-Based Results: Sets high goals, consistent with the Ascension Health Alliance values, for personal and group accomplishment. Tenaciously works to meet or exceed those goals; measures progress and derives satisfaction from goal achievement and continuous improvement.
Leads Organization Change: Seeks (and encourages others to seek) innovative ways to improve results by transforming organizational culture, systems, or programs/ services; adapts strategically to emerging market demands, technology, and internal initiatives.
Inspires, and Engages People: Passionately and effectively presents a transformational vision; creates a clear and compelling view of the future state by helping others understand and feel how outcomes will be different when the vision is achieved; clearly conveys how the vision supports the Mission.
Ascension Health is an EEO/AA employer: M/F/Disabled/Vet. For further information regarding your EEO rights, click on the following link to the “EEO is the Law” poster: http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf