The Congregation of St. Joseph and the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet share a common foundation and heritage, with roots in 17th century France.
In 1836, a request came from Bishop Joseph Rosati in St. Louis for Sisters to teach the deaf. Eight women were chosen to travel across the ocean and establish a foundation for the Sisters in the United States.
Once in St. Louis, these Sisters opened two houses: one for orphans and the deaf in Carondelet, Mo., and a school across the Mississippi River in Cahokia, Ill. Communication between America and France was difficult and eventually led the congregation to become independent of its French roots. In 1860, Carondelet became the cradle of the congregation, thus known as the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet.
In 1981, nearly 150 years after the Sisters left France, the congregation brought 13 healthcare institutions together as one shared organization – creating the Health Care Corporation of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet. In 1992, the organization adopted the name Carondelet Health System, and in 2002 the system became part of Ascension Health.